November 2018 Newsletter
Early Bird Deadline is November 30!
Have you thought about what your green team is going to do this year?
Submit your action plan before November 30 (one month away!) and have a chance to win an early bird prize. Your action plan registers your school for the 11th year of BC Green Games and outlines the environmental action your team plans to undertake. The plan your team submits can be something that is already happening in your school, a brand new idea, or a combination of both! Your plan can change right up until you submit your project but register your team now to confirm your spot in BC Green Games.
What Does a BC Green Games Project Look Like?
A BC Green Games project is a video or photo essay that tells the story of the environmental action your green team is taking at your school or in your community. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- A video should be maximum 4 minutes long, plus a short essay.
- A photo essay should have a minimum of 3 and maximum of 10 photos, plus a short essay.
- Projects can not contain any copyrighted materials.
- A project can include a community coach, but it is not mandatory.
Free Field Trip For Your Green Team Just By Participating
You are invited to Science World, or your nearest science centre, for a free field trip just for submitting a project! Teams can book as soon as they are registered.
If you want to visit the other participating science centres (NS3, The Exploration Place, The BIG Little Science Centre, and The Okanagan Science Centre) please send us an e-mail to email@example.com.
Field Trips can be booked anytime between March 2 and the end of June.
This Years Prizes
Listed below are the prizes we are offering this year:
- Ten $1 000 Green Grants
- Two $1 500 Travel Subsidy Prizes
- Two ReGeneration School Mural Prizes made from recycled paint
- Four $500 Call2Recycle Viewer's Choice Awards based on voting
- Two $2 500 Be a Battery Recycling Advocate Prizes
- Science World Sleepover Prize for elementary schools
- Sustainability Leadership Camp on Galiano Island for secondary schools
- Five Environmental Educators Provincial Specialist Association memberships for teachers
Check out the prizes page for more details.
Have any questions that haven't been answered? Contact us! We are always happy to chat. You can contact us in the following ways:
We also love to hear about how your projects are going - tag us in your Facebook and Twitter posts with the hastag #BCGreenGames
North America's first and largest battery stewardship program. As a non-profit organization, they collect and recycle batteries at no cost for municipalities, businesses, and consumers. Call2Recycle has diverted more than 39 million kilograms of batteries and cellphones from the solid waste stream and established over 34 000 collection sites throughout Canada and the US. It is the first program of its kind to receive the Responsible Recycling Practices Standard (R2) certification.
Love out planet? So do we. At ReGeneration, we believe reducing waste is the key to our future. That's why we recycle environmentally harmful products like lightbulbs, smoke alarms, and paint at free drop-off locations across the country. Together, we can reduce our waste and protect our planet. Join us in creating a healthy and vibrant planet for future generations!